- SUPERMAN- I was 3 when my parents took me to see Richard Donner’s classic, I don’t remember much about the experience, but I have a vague memory of seeing Superman fly, but I clearly remember seeing the giant poster with the silver “S” in the lobby. Watching now, all my favorite stuff is with young Clark in Smallville, and of course after 30 years, the helicopter rescue, when that John Williams score kicks in, never fails to give me goosebumps.
- X2: X-MEN UNITED- When the studio system realized that an older generation of fans were going to be the reason these X-Men movies would be successful, we got the superhero movie we always wanted. Action, high stakes, loss, berserker Wolverine, and a story ripped from the pages of the comic.
- SPIDERMAN 2- Sam Raimi’s goofy humor mixed with the best Spidey action/storyline to date earns this one classic status. What makes it even more amazing, is all the Peter Parker scenes are near perfection. From only thinking of his own happiness to the great line “There are bigger things happening here than me and you.” That is Spider-Man!
- THE DARK KNIGHT- I remember calling this the “Godfather” of superhero movies. And to this day I stand by that comparison.
- SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD- Truly a comic brought to stunning life, with epic fights, great music, and so many zip-zany-zingers it will knock the highlights outta your hair.
- THE AVENGERS- This was the first superhero movie my children saw at the theater, not only did it hold the attention of then toddlers, they were in awe and completely entertained as I was. Something never done before and probably never to done again. This is the Joss Whedon magic trick of a masterpiece.
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR- Aside from the best superhero fight scene and best Spider-Man ever put to screen, this fantastic fall of two titans brings an emotional resonance that leaves its mark on you as the heroes battle each other in a fight that will change everything that’s come before it.
Honorable Mentions: Batman, Blade II, American Splendor, Watchmen, Iron Man, X-Men: First Class, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Guardians of the Galaxy, Sin City